Muscle tone! See what I did there? Ignore it.
Bad jokes aside, this post is about the best way structure your workout to tone your muscles.
- 5-7 minutes of cardio warm-up
- Lifting session, consisting of whatever circuits you want,
- Target 2-3 muscle groups each session.
- The major muscle groups are:
- Legs & Hips
- Arms & Shoulders
*Note: Jackie Warner’s total body “power burn” circuit training video is excellent for targeting all the major muscle groups in only 45 minutes. Highly recommended for a rainy day challenge.
- Either do few reps with heavy weight OR
- More reps with light-moderate weights (3 sets,10-20 repetitions per set)
- Watch your form ESPECIALLY when doing larger sets. When you speed, there’s a tendency to get sloppy, which defeats the purpose almost entirely.
- Give yourself at least one day off before working the same muscle group again. You need time to re-build to avoid soreness.
- Change up the exercise that you’re doing to target specific muscle groups every month or so. The body gets as bored as you do, and keeping it on point is all about challenging yourself.
When you finish lifting, do cardio.
- 20-40 minutes without stopping.
- Switch between high and low intensity. Once again, the body burns more calories when you keep it interesting. I think of a one-note workout as being the equivalent of highway hypnosis…technically you’re doing stuff, but not really.
- Make sure to have at least 5 minutes of cool down before you leave the gym
Stretch! Because it feels good. And it will keep your muscles from aching the next day.