If you haven’t caught on by now, I’m a huge fan of fiber. It makes you feel full, it keeps your bowels on track (tell me there’s a less comfortable feeling than being bloated or constipated), and provides essential fuel to your colon, which in turn keeps your body clean and healthy. Due to my fixation, I’m always trying out new ways to get as much of it as I can. Here are my top five fiber favorites in no particular order.
1. Fiber One Chewy Bars (I prefer Oats & Chocolate, but they have other flavors like Mocha, peanut butter, caramel, strawberry, etc. These are around 130 calories each, but there are also “snack” versions in chocolatey flavors that are only 90 calories).
2. Fiber One Original Cereal (60 calories for half a cup, it’s delicious in milk or yogurt)
3. Prunes (I go for the Trader Joes pitted prunes when I can, but they aren’t always in stock. For around 110 calories per serving, I think prunes taste amazing. Warning: they do a great job of “clearing out the body,” which means this is not a food you want to over-indulge in)
4. Whole apples (That’s right, leave the skins on. I’m a big fan of the red delicious apples from Wawa, but I’ve also rarely met an apple I didn’t like).
5. Raspberries (for such a tiny fruit, they pack a serious fiber-punch. I would like them even if they weren’t good for me, but they’re a yummy and nutritious addition to any meal).
*Note: fiber works with water, meaning that if you don’t complement your fiber intake with healthy servings of H2O, you could actually stop up your system. Drink up!